Ghost Towns of White Pine County
A little about the Ghost Towns
Be sure to take your camera with you!
1 Aurum - Aurum developed near gold mines in Silver Canyon.
The town had two boarding houses, saloons, blacksmith shop, store and a ten-stamp mill. The Aurum Post Office was located in Spring Valley below and south of the mining camp of the same name. The Post Office ceased operation in 1938. Mill ruins, building foundations and a cemetery remain. (more)
2 Belmont Mill - Well preserved mill site. This site is a ghost town explorers dreamland. Judging by the ruins left to see, this fun little camp must have gave the White Pine Mining District it's last breath of life. Silver-lead ore from this mine was processed at this mil. (more)
3 Black Horse - Gold was discovered while searching for a black horse that had wandered off. Tents and crude wooden shacks and a mill constituted this camp. Remains of
cellars and a graveyard can be seen. (more)
4 Blaine - Governor Denver Dickerson developed the short-lived Blaine silver mine with a peak population of 200. Blaine had saloons, an assay office, boarding house, blacksmith shop, and a stage to Ely. Some activity was taking place here in the late 1930’s.
5 Buck Station - One of several stations established along the Central Pacific Railroad. Buck Station became the jumping-off point to the White Pine silver mines 110 miles south. Stagecoach travelers could eat and rest here. Long segments of the old Elko-Hamilton stage road can be seen stretching north to south from this site.
6 Butte Station -
A station built by the Pony Express. Only the foundation remains.
7 Cherry Creek - Named for the wild cherry trees that grow nearby this was both a gold and silver mining town. Over 6000 people called Cherry Creek home during its peak and was the largest community in White Pine County at that time. There is still some mining activity here today and the town still has a few residents. (more)
8 Eberhardt - Part of the rich White Pine District this town boasted over 200 people, a post office, saloons, carpenter shop, wagon shop and a blacksmith. Only rock ruins of mills and foundations remain. (more)
9 Ely - It was first called Murry Creek Station. Onetime stage stop in Steptoe Valley at Murry Creek. Ely became the second White Pine County seat in 1885 when the courthouse burned in Hamilton. The railroad was completed in 1907 and the population grew to over 5000. The site of the most productive Copper district in Nevada history. Ely is currently the largest town in White Pine County.
10 Hamilton - This was part of the rich White Pine District and is currently one of the most noted ghost towns in the west. With over 10,000 people participating in the silver rush, Hamilton was very large in size. In the mines near Hamilton, silver was found in such quantities as to pay most of the Civil War debt. The town was first called Cave City because the early residents lived in caves and dugouts yet after its large growth the town did not survive the devastation of fire. (more)
11 Lane City - This site was the original settlement for the Ely area. Originally known as Mineral City and Robinson Canyon. The site boasted a 10-stamp mill, mercantile store, a post office, express office, six saloons, hotels, restaurants, livery stables, four boarding houses, a blacksmith shop, and a population of about 600 people.
12 Lund/Preston - The Mormons settled this community and have consistently maintained a population of about 100. Old buildings still remain.
13 McGill - Originally a company town and site of the Nevada Consolidated Copper (and later Kennecott) reduction plant. Still inhabited today yet numerous vestiges from the past are apparent throughout including the McGill Drugstore Museum.
14 Minerva - Minerva was started by the Minerva Tungsten Corp. during WWI and sporadically existed until the 1950’s. This camp had several cabins and about 60 people in 1937. A post office and school known as Shoshone were located about 1 1/2 miles north of Minerva. Part of a mill and remains of cabins can be seen.
15 Monte Cristo - The first camp in the White Pine Mining District. Established on the west slope of Mt. Hamilton in 1865 with a total population of about 150. Rock walls and part of the mill stack remain.
16 Newark - A small silver mining camp of about 200 people and site of a mill. Foundations remain.
17 Osceola - The longest lived placer gold mining camp in Nevada with one gold nugget found that valued $6000 at the time. With over 400 miners working the claims, Osceola built a canal from the other side of the mountain range to bring water to the camp. Numerous ruins of buildings and mining activity remain. (more)
18 Piermont - First discoveries made in 1869 and a mill built. Mines went bust in 1873. Little done until 1920. Soon, more than 100 men were employed. Active until 1936. Total production was $2.5 million. Many ruins remain.
19 Pinto Creek Station - Served travelers between Austin and Hamilton until stage road was rerouted to the south of the site in the early 1870’s.
20 Ruby Hill (or Rubyville) - A small short-lived camp with a mill and about 150 people. A few log ruins remain.
21 Ruth - Named for Ruth McDonald, only daughter of D.C. (Dan) McDonald, locator of the original Ruth Mine that touched off the Ely area copper boom. Old Ruth lies beneath the huge tailing pile. All the buildings were moved a short distance to New Ruth around 1955 when mining operations were extended.
22 Schellbourne (Fort) - It has a long history of Indian fighting, and first served as a Pony Express Station, later as a fort for the US troops to protect the people coming cross-country to Virginia City. Silver ore was eventually discovered in the mountains and a camp developed with over 500 people. When the ore ran out many buildings were moved to Cherry Creek. Schellbourne now serves as the headquarters for a ranch. (Private Property)
23 Seligman - Part of the rich White Pine District, this camp of 200 people had a blacksmith shop, a Wells Fargo office, a boarding house, assay office, a general merchandise store, mill, and post office. Rock ruins remain.
24 Siegel/Centerville - A silver camp with a peak population of 75 people. A few stone ruins remain.
25 Stone House - Built as a ranch and stage stop this site serviced travelers for 30 years. Abandoned now, yet extensive structure remains. (more)
26 Taylor - There was activity in Taylor as early as 1872. Taylor reached its peak in 1883 when the population increased to 1,500 and business included three general stores, four restaurants, three boarding houses, a drug store, and a doctor. By the end of the year, a brewery, an opera house, and a school had been built. Taylor was a peaceful town with very little trouble. Taylor’s free milling silver began to run out in 1885. A revival started in 1918 lasting until this day. A few businesses have reopened. Only two buildings remain from old Taylor.
27 Ward Mining District - The State Park holds six well preserved charcoal kilns. The kilns were built by Italian artisans to burn Pinion pine wood that would produce batches of charcoal. The charcoal was then used to smelter the silver ore. The old townsite of Ward is located about 5 miles to the north of the kilns. This successful silver mine was a lawless mining camp with over 2,000 citizens at its peak. This area has seen mining off and on as methods have improved.
How to get there!
1 Aurum - (1871) 2WD 39 miles north of Ely on U.S. 93 to the Pony Express Station site, east on Nevada 2 for 14.8 miles to stone house. Exit Nevada 2 and head south for 3.5 miles. Exit right and follow this rough road for 3 miles to Aurum.
2 Belmont Mill - (1868) 2WD 5 miles west of Hamilton on graded dirt road.
3 Black Horse - (1905) 4WD 2 miles north of US50, 34 miles southeast of Ely.
4 Blaine - (1878) 3/4 mile north of McGill and then 21 miles northwest.
5 Buck Station - (1869) 51 miles west of Ely on US50 and then 21 miles north.
6 Butte Station - (1860) About 22 miles west of Cherry Creek by way of Egan Canyon.
7 Cherry Creek - (1859) 2WD US93 55 miles north of Ely and then at the end of SR489 to the west.
8 Eberhardt - (1869) 4WD 5 miles southeast of Hamilton.
9 Ely - (1878) At junction US 50, 6, and 93.
10 Hamilton - (1868) 2WD 36 miles west of Ely on US50 and then 11 miles south on a graded dirt road.
11 Lane City - (1869) 2WD 3 miles northwest of Ely on north side of US50.
12 Lund/Preston - (1898) 2WD SR318
13 McGill - (1906) US93, 12 miles north of Ely.
14 Minerva - (1917) 2WD 3 miles south on US93 at US50 junction and 17 miles southeast on SR894.
15 Monte Cristo - (1865) 4WD 51 miles west of Ely on US50 and then 15 miles south/southeast.
16 Newark - (1867) 2WD 11 miles north of US50 on Newark Valley Road.
17 Osceola - (1872) 2WD US50 8 miles east of the junction with US93 and then 3 3/4 miles east.
18 Piermont - (1869) 30.7 miles north of US93 on NV893 then west at the Piermont Creek sign 3.5 miles.
19 Pinto Creek Station - (1868) 2 1/2 miles northwest of the Newark Valley road 5 miles north of its junction with US50.
20 Ruby Hill (or Rubyville) - (1871) 17 miles north of McGill on US93 and 7 miles east from there.
21 Ruth - (1903) SR485 2 miles southwest of its junction with US50 5 miles northwest of Ely.
22 Schellbourne (Fort) - (1859) 2WD 39 miles north of Ely on U.S. 93 to the Pony Express Station site, east on Nevada 2 for 3 miles.
23 Seligman - (1880’s) 4WD 4 miles northeast of Monte Cristo or 3 1/2 miles west of Hamilton.
24 Siegel/Centerville - (1870) 4WD 39 miles north of Ely on U.S. 93 to the Pony Express Station site, east on Nevada 2 to junction of Spring Valley Road. 3 miles south on Spring Valley Road and then 4 miles west.
25 Stone House - (1860) 39 miles north of Ely on U.S. 93 to the Pony Express Station site, east on Nevada 2 for 14.8 miles.
26 Taylor - (1873) 2WD US50 14 miles south of Ely and then 4 1/2 miles east on graded dirt road.
27 Ward Mining District - (1872) 2WD State Park south of Ely 11 miles on US50 and then 5 miles southwest on a graded dirt road.